Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Super Brownies, Curry & Rolls!

Last night we had the Wadsworth's & Shaman over for dinner/moving help. I decided to try 3 new recipes! Madness! For dinner I knew I wanted to make this delicious non spicy simple curry my cousin Niki made for us when we recently visited them in Utah. I also wanted to make some Poni PoPo rolls that my cousins the Sadowski's are famous for making. They're Rhodes rolls that rise & are baked in a mixture of coconut milk & sugar. They're addicting! I couldn't decide what to make for dessert. I was talking to my mom a few days ago & she mentioned that at the last family dinner they went to in Arizona my cousin made these brownies that got rave reviews. I aspire to be able to cook as good as my mom some day, so any recipe she says is good, I'm for sure going to try! Everything turned out delicious! The rolls & curry were as good as I remembered them to be & the brownies were perfectly moist, dense & chewy. The recipes & pictures are below. I forgot to take a picture of the rolls, so I will do that next time I make them & post pics then.




Super Natural Super Moist Brownies


16 tablespoons butter
8 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
4 eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups chopped nuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.Put the butter and chocolate in a double boiler and heat on med high until melted together. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs. Add salt, sugars, and vanilla. Stir in chocolate and butter mixture. Fold in flour and nuts.Pour batter into a 9″x13″ pan that has been lined with foil and sprayed with non-stick spray. Spread batter evenly in pan.Bake for 40 to 45 minutes. The top will form a shiny crust and the batter will be moderately firm. I like to turn the oven off for the last 5 mins of baking & keep the brownies in there. I find it keeps the moisture in & makes them a little more dense & chewy.





Curried Coconut Chicken
2 lb chicken breasts, cubed
1 ½ T Vegetable oil
2 T curry powder
½ onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1-2 red or green bell peppers, cubed (I julienned mine)
8 oz tomato sauce
14 oz coconut milk (I put 28 oz to make more saucy, Niki & Kim both suggested this)
14 oz diced tomatoes (I put 28 oz as Niki & Kim also suggested)
3 T sugar
Season chicken with S & P. Heat oil and curry powder in large skillet over med/high heat for 2 min. Stir in onions and garlic (* and bell peppers, if added). Add chicken, tossing lightly to coat. Reduce heat to medium and cook 10 min, until chicken is no longer pink. Mix in tomato sauce, coconut milk, stewed (or diced) tomatoes, sugar and stir to combine. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally approximately 30-40 min. Serves: 6



Poni PoPo
15 frozen rolls (Rhodes work great)
1 can coconut milk
1/2 cup sugar
Spray an 9 x 13 Pyrex/casserole dish with cooking spray. Mix coconut milk and sugar together. Pour the coconut milk mixture into the casserole dish. Put the rolls in the pan on top of the milk mixture and let rise for 3 hours. Bake at 400 degrees for approximately 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown and done.





2 comments:

Cristina HW said...

Sweet! I'm so excited you did this! (You're so great! You say you're going to do it, and you just do!) BTW-yup, Nic is lucky I love him because I'm holding back from eating more than one of those coconut milk rolls. YUUUUM!

Leah said...

so...i'm coming over for diner tonight! ok? what are we having? lol.