Friday, June 19, 2009

Karokke



Karokke is the Japanese version of a potato croquette. When I was younger and we lived in Japan my friends and I use to go to a restaurant near our house and get Karokke and Chicken Katsu which is chicken breaded with panko crumbs and fried. I guess they have "chicken nuggets & fries" in many countries! ;) This recipe I found tastes just like the ones I ate in Japan. & if you're going to eat Karokke you HAVE to eat it will Bulldog sauce, as pictured.

Potato Korokke Recipe
http://japanesefood.about.com/od/potato/r/potatokorokke.htm

Ingredients:

* 4 medium potatoes
* 1/4 lb ground beef (I left the beef out)
* 1/2 onion, finely chopped
* 1 egg
* 1/2 tsp salt
* salt pepper to season
* vegetable oil for frying
* flour and panko (breadcrumb) for coating

Preparation:
Peel and cut potatoes into medium chunks. Boil potatoes until soften. Drain and mash potatoes while they are hot. Saute onion and beef in a medium skillet. Mix mashed potatoes and onion and beef in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper and let it cool. Make flat and oval-shaped patties. Coat each piece with flour. Dip in beaten egg, and coat with panko at last. Fry in 350 F oil until brown.
*Makes 4 servings

No comments: