Sunday, September 28, 2008
Chicken & Corn Chowder/White Chili
I made this soup about a week ago for dinner & Matt said I should bottle it & sell it! I couldn't figure out what to make for dinner, so I just kind of made it up. Here's what I did:
1. Boil 1 chicken breast in about 8 cups of water along with 1 t onion powder (would probably be better with diced onion) & 4 t chicken boullion (how every much yours needs to produce 8 cups of chicken broth).
2. Once the chicken was cooked I took it out & chopped it into small chunks & returned it to the broth.
3. When it all came back to a boil I added 1 can of rinsed great northern beans, 1 c frozen sweet corn and 4 small new potatoes that I had cooked in the microwave for 5 mins & peeled & diced.
4. I added about 1/2 t cumin (add to taste), about 2 t of crushed green chili peppers (you could just use a couple of teaspoons of canned green chilis if you can't find powder, or more if you like that flavor) & a couple pinches of salt & pepper. Then I turned down to simmer and simmered for about 15 mins.
5. Lastly I added about 3/4 c sour cream and 1/4 c heavy cream and let the mixture simmer for about 10 more mins.
I served it with french bread. It was really good. I think the cumin & green chili added the perfect spice. I will definitely make it again on a cooler night this winter.
Posted by Kerstin at 9:28 AM