Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Cinnamon Rolls


I made these about a week ago. I saw the recipe on My Kitchen Cafe & thought they looked delicious. I was also intrigued by the idea that you use vanilla pudding in it's prepared form. It makes the dough really moist. I LOVED the dough & definitely will use it again. The frosting was good. If you love cream cheese frosting on your cinnamon roll then you will love it. I definitely prefer the standard milk, butter, sugar & vanilla or cinnamon on my cinnamon rolls (my mom always replaces the vanilla in her frosting with maple extract & that's super good too).

Vanilla Pudding Cinnamon Rolls with Cream Cheese Frosting
from A. Marilyn (I got from My Kitchen Cafe blog on the right at the top)

Rolls:
½ cup warm water
2 tablespoons active dry yeast
2 tablespoons sugar
3 ½ ounce package instant vanilla pudding
½ cup butter, melted
2 eggs
1 teaspoon salt
6+ cups flour

Filling:
1 cup butter, softened to room temperature
2 cups brown sugar
4 teaspoons cinnamon

Frosting:
8 ounces cream cheese
½ cup butter, softened to room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups confectioner’s sugar
2-3 tablespoons milk

In a small bowl combine water, yeast and sugar. Stir until dissolved. Set aside. In large bowl, take pudding mix and prepare according to package directions. Add butter, eggs and salt. Mix well. Then add yeast mixture. Blend. Gradually add flour; knead until smooth. Do not overflour the dough! It should be very soft but not sticky. Place in a greased bowl. Cover and let rise until doubled. Then roll out on floured board to 34 X 21 inches in size. Take 1 cup soft butter and spread over surface. In bowl, mix 2 cups brown sugar and 4 teaspoons cinnamon. Sprinkle over the top. Roll up very tightly. With knife put a notch every 1 1/2 inches. Cut with thread or serrated knife. Place on lightly greased cookie sheet 1 inch apart. Cover and let rise until double again. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Remove when they start to turn golden (don’t overbake). Frost warm rolls with cream cheese frosting (combine butter and cream cheese and mix well, then add vanilla and sugar and mix again, then add milk for desired consistency). Makes about 24 very large rolls.

2 comments:

Laura said...

I've heard of using vanilla pudding in cinnamon rolls and now I'm glad I have a recipe to try. I love cinnamon rolls!

Julie said...

I've used a similar recipe and I've used the vanilla pudding that I've canned in the church cannery. It works just as well and it feels good that I'm rotating my food storage too.