Friday, April 3, 2009

Baby Oatmeal


My very very thoughtful older brother got me a book called Organic Baby & Toddler Cookbook a couple of years ago for Mother's Day. (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?r=1&ISBN=9780789471901&ourl=Organic-Baby-and-Toddler-Cookbook%2FLizzie-Vann) I know, so thoughtful...sorry gals, he's engaged (he lucked out too, she's amazing!)! Sadly this book sat in my kitchen unused until now. I've always just bought baby food at the store. I'm really careful about only buying things that don't have additives & chemicals, but I just thought making the food would be so time consuming and stressful. Boy was I wrong! A couple of weeks ago I thought, I should try to make some of Ty's baby food. So I pulled out this book and read through some of the recipes & I was immediately hooked! I've been making his food ever since. It's been so nice to know exactly what he's eating & it's definitely a money saver surprisingly. My favorite recipes are for breakfast oatmeal. I must admit, after I made the first batch of oatmeal I told Ty, there's a strong possibility I will cry if you don't like this. :) No worries though, he loved it. I usually double or triple the recipe and save the rest for another meal. I will share one of the recipes with you.

Fruit Compote - Baby's First Christmas Oatmeal

1/3 c water
1/2 T oats
1/2 small apple, peeled, cored & finely chopped
1 peeled fresh apricot or 4 dried apricots finely chopped (I love adding dried apricots, figs, prunes & other dried fruit to the cereal)
1/2 dried fig chopped
pinch cinnamon
2 t golden raisins

Place all ingredients in a small band and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat and then cover and simmer for about 5 mins, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.

Puree the fruit mixture by pushing through a sieve or by using a blender (I use a blender). Add a little more water or a little juice if a thinner consistency is preferred.

When I have my next baby (I'm not announcing anything) I would love to get this thing, it looks awesome!

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/e203/index.cfm?clg=86

No comments: