Sunday, April 19, 2009

Strawberry Spinach Salad


This is my new favorite favorite favorite salad (yes, 3 favorites!). I'm sure many of you have had versions of this salad. It's has such great flavor! The first time I made it I loved it so much that I served it to friends 3 times that week, just so I could make them try it and so I could eat some more! It came from a fun book my mom gave me called The Essential Mormon Cookbook, by Julie Badger Jensen.

Strawberry Spinach Salad

1/4 c sugar (I leave this out, I don't think it needs any extra sugar)
1 quart fresh strawberries, sliced
1 (10-oz) package washed baby spinach greens
1 c sliced almonds, toasted
Honey Celery Seed Dressing

Lightly sprinkle strawberries with sugar and toss with spinach greens just before serving (I didn't do this. I just sliced the strawberries and put them in the salad. I think the dressing is sweet enough already). Top with desired amount of toasted almonds and dressing and serve.

Honey Celery Seed Dressing

3/4 c sugar
1/2 c honey
1 t paprika
1 t mustard
1 t grated onion
1/2 c lemon juice
1 c vegetable oil
1/2 t celery seed

Mix all ingredients except oil and celery seed in a blender. Gradually add oil and celery seed and continue blending. Keeps for 3 weeks.

No comments: