Saturday, January 16, 2010

Almost Peanut Butter Sandwich cookies


I'm learning to adjust being a mom to 3 kids, but some days are just nuts! Madeline wanted to make cookies a few days ago, so I decided to try this peanut butter sandwich cookie from Our Best Bites blog that I've been wanting to try for a long time. I started making them at 11 am & by 6 pm I finally had all the cookies baked and the filling was not even started. It was a crazy day of going from one crying child to the next. So I decided to nix the filling. The cookies were delicious as is. Someday I will try again and make the filling!

Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies
Click to print text only

1 C butter flavored Crisco
1 C creamy peanut butter (preferably the kind without salmonella)
1 C sugar
1 C packed brown sugar
1 t vanilla
3 eggs
3 C flour
2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt

filling:
1 C creamy peanut butter
1/2 c real butter, softened
4 C powdered sugar
2 t vanilla
5-6 T milk

For the cookies:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Cream shortening, peanut butter, and sugars together until light and fluffy (about 2 minutes). Add in vanilla, and eggs one at a time. In a separate bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt and add to dough. Mix to combine. The dough will be very soft- that's normal!

You know the drill. Roll into balls, roll in sugar, place on cookie sheet (no need to grease it) and do the little forky criss-cross thing.

Okay, so pop the cookies into the oven and bake for 6-7 minutes. You want them to say super soft, so don't let them get brown. In my oven, and for the size of cookies I do, 6 minutes exactly is perfect. Remove them from pan and cool on a cooling rack.

No comments: