Thursday, January 14, 2010

Blueberry Almond Pound Cake



My friend Diane made this SUPER delicious cake for a cooking club we were a part of awhile ago. I had a bunch of frozen blueberries I needed to use and remembered how delicious this cake was so I made it. It was as good as I remembered it! I didn't have a cake mix that called for butter, so I used a regular yellow cake mix that calls for oil. I also don't have a tube pan, so I used a bundt pan and it turned out great!


Blueberry Almond Pound Cake

Made by: Diane Larsen

1 package butter-flavored cake mix

8 oz cream cheese

½ c vegetable oil

3 eggs

1 t almond extract

2 c frozen blueberries

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Lightly grease and flour a 10 inch tube pan. Combine cake mix, cream cheese, oil, eggs and almond extract. Beat until very smooth. Gently fold in blueberries. Spoon into prepared tube pan and bake for about 1 hour, until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center. Remove from oven, let cool about 5 mins, then invert onto a serving plate. Glaze (if desired) while still warm, but not hot.

Optional glaze:

Mix 1 ½ cups of powdered sugar with cold water, adding 1 T water at a time until a thin but not runny consistency. Add ½ t almond extract. Stir well until all powdered sugar is blended smoothly. Sprinkle top of cake with sliced almonds, then drizzle the glaze all over the almonds and cake.

No comments: