Thursday, July 10, 2008

Salmon Cakes with Lemon Aioli


Tonight for dinner I tried a new recipe from a really cool cooking blog I just found called Sister's Cafe http://sisterscafe.blogspot.com/search/label/salmon . It was delicious & super easy. It's Salmon Cakes with Lemon Aioli (actually I didn't have lemon, so I used lime & it was still great). I served it with wheat tabouli salad with cucumbers and feta cheese.

Salmon Cakes with Lemon Aioli
Adapted from Marguerite Henderson

Submitted by Melanie

2 cups cooked salmon, flaked (1-1 1/2 pounds)*
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
2 green onions, chopped
1/4 cup diced celery
1/4 cup mayonnaise (I use light)
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp dried dill
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp worcestershire sauce
1 egg
1/2 tsp salt
2 T. butter
1 T. vegetable or olive oil

*Poach salmon in a slow simmer of water, or broth for 8 minutes.


Lemon Aioli
1/2 cup mayonnaise ( I use light)
2 T. cream ( I use milk)
Zest and juice of lemon ( I did not use the whole amount)
1/2 T. prepared horseradish
1/2 T. dijon mustard
1 tsp chopped garlic ( I use bottled)
1 tsp dried thyme
*Mix and refrigerate until ready to serve. Makes 3/4 cup

In a bowl, combine the salmon, crumbs, green onions, celery, mayo, cayenne, dill, thyme, worcestiershire sauce, egg and salt. Shape into 8 salmon cakes.

Melt butter and oil in heavy skillet. Brown salmon cakes on both sides, about 5 minutes per side. Place on serving platter lined with mixed greens. Garnish cakes with fresh dill sprigs, or chopped parsely or green onions. Top each with a dollop of aioli. Makes 8 cakes. These can be make ahead and refrigerated. Place on a baking sheet and warm at 400.

No comments: