Monday, February 1, 2010

Bread Pudding with Caramel Sauce




I made this bread pudding with left over carrot/currant and apple no-knead bread (see previous post). I think this is the best bread pudding I've made & I think it's all about the bread!

The recipe is from Better Homes and Garden

Bread Pudding

4 eggs
2 1/4 c milk
1/2 c sugar
1 T vanilla
1 t shredded orange peel (I didn't use since my bread was already flavored)
1/2 t cinnamon
4 c dry bread cubes
1/3 c dried cherries, cranberries or raisins
1 recipe caramel sauce (recipe below)

In a large bowl beat together eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla, orange peel and cinnamon. In an ungreased 2-quart square baking dish (I used a 9 x 13) toss together bread cubes and dried fruit. Pour egg mixture over bread. Press mixture lightly into pan with the back of a large spoon. Bake, uncovered for 40-45 mins at 350 degrees until puffed and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool slightly and then top with caramel sauce.

Caramel Sauce

1/2 c packed brown sugar
1/4 c water
1 T cornstarch
1/3 c half and half or cream or light cream
2 T light corn syrup
1 T butter
1/2 t vanilla

Put all ingredients except vanilla in a heavy saucepan. Stir over medium heat until bubbly. Cook and stir 2 more minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla and pour over the pudding.

No comments: